Thursday, August 5, 2010

Summer's End



Ah, summer. As a teacher I love the long, lazy days of summer because they offer me the necessary time to relax my neck and shoulder muscles enough to realize that I CAN relax. As a devoted momma I relish my 8 weeks of summer to spend quality time with my beauties, Carter and Camryn.
To recap our summer we have hosted friends and family in our home, and we have made two trips to our hometown St. Petersburg, Florida to visit with family and friends. We have visited sugary-sanded beaches and visited my little brother's firehouse in Sarasota. We have tubed the Chattahoochee with dear friends and dined at the famous Dillard House. We have stayed up late, and slept in. We have read wonderful books, pieced together puzzles, and watched lots of TV. It has been a good summer.
However, it is now time to ready ourselves for a new school year. This year is the first time that we have ever sent our kids to school on the county's dime. Since my kids were school age, they have always attended the school at which I was currently teaching. This past year we have come to realize that the local public school offers more supports that our kids really need, and so we made the decision to give it a try. If you are a praying person, please join me in praying that the Christian values and scriptural truths we have instilled in our children will be sealed in their hearts, and that they will view any material to be learned through the eyes of a Holy Spirit-filled Christian before accepting it.
It is easier for my sweet hubs Scott to accept because he was a product of the Pinellas County school system, and turned out just fine. (Most of the time, anyway!) For me, it is a little tougher. I was raised in a Christian school and even attended Christian college. You can imagine my apprehension.
Apprehension takes a back seat to the direction I feel confident we have received from the Lord on this. God closed and opened doors to make it evident that this is the way we should go.
Sooooo... here we go!
I am really excited about my new crop if eighth grade students and I am even more excited about the opportunities my kids will have at their new school.
Blessings to all as we head into a brand new school year!

2 comments:

  1. praying for you, Carter and Camryn in the beginning of this exciting new year. I can only imagine how much prayer went into the decision to start them in public school. You are a brave woman which was evident in your decision to move to GA and God held true to His promise and provided for the Sumners. The same will hold true in this situation. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda- I just saw this today, 10/7/10! Thanks SO much for the encouraging words, as always. You were one of the people who encouraged me to be brave and step out of the boat to move to GA. God really used you to boost me up to the next level on my faith climb. (Imagine a rock-climbing wall!) I am so blessed to have you as my very good friend. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete